About Japan’s universal insurance system

Health insurance is one of the most important matters when one travels to a foreign country, especially where there is a language barrier. There are two types of health insurance available in Japan. The health insurance is belonged to all the people living in Japan - both citizens and the foreigners with a long term visa.
1. KokuminKenko Hoken Japanese National Health Insurance : A person, residing in Japan for more than 90 days, must enroll this health scheme. This insurance covers any medical problem with the 70% of the medical bill; remaining 30% will be paid back by the person itself.

日本の医療保険制度について

日本の保険は「皆保険制度」となっていて、日本に住む人の全員が保険への加入が義務づけられています。
これは、外国人も例外ではありません。
なので、たとえ留学生で来ても保険料を毎月納める必要があります。
保険料は所得に応じて異なり、大きく分けて、「国民健康保険」「社会保険」があります。
「国民健康保険」は、学生や自営業の方などが主に加入し、「社会保険」は会社務めの方が加入します。
「皆保険制度」なので、毎月、必ず保険料を指定機関に支払う必要があります。働いている人は、給与から先にひかれた状態で給与として支給されます。「保険料を支払わない」という選択は、日本に住む限り認められません。
この皆保険制度のおかげで、老若男女・貧富の差も問わず、みんなが適切な医療を受ける事ができるのです。